Brief guides for learning how to use similar words.
Learn by doing with interactive worksheets.
Words and phrases commonly used by native speakers.
Latest Pennsylvania Dutch Lesson Guides
- Meeting Parts NamesThe midweek meeting format was updated in January 2024. Here are the names of the sections and parts in Pennsylvania Dutch.
- Time Words and Verb OrderWhen a sentence starts with a time word or phrase, the first verb jumps in front of the subject.
- missa nett and daufa nettHow do you say that something ‘must not’ be done in Pennsylvania Dutch? It’s ‘missa nett’…, right? Actually, it’s ‘daufa nett’. Why?
- patient and geduldichWhen do you use patient and geduldich in Pennsylvania Dutch? When would you use patience and geduld?
- Figures of Speech: Walking and RunningPennsylvania Dutch uses some figures of speech that involve walking and running that are similar to English — how are they different?
- shpringa and shprengaWhat’s the difference between the Deitsh words shpringa and shprenga?… Read more: shpringa and shprenga